The Department of Scientific Computing is excited to offer several Undergraduate Scholarships to promote excellence in the field of Computational Science.
Each scholarship will be in the total amount of $2,500, payable in 50 percent increments at the beginning of the first and end of the second semesters of the school year.
Computational Science is distinct from both Computer Science and Computer Engineering. Very briefly,
- Computer Engineering concentrates on computer hardware
- Computer Science studies computers and the algorithms to better utilize them
Computational Science uses computers to advance science and engineering
(e.g., Astrophysics, Meteorology, Biology, Robotics, etc.)
Applicant Eligibility and Qualifications
- To apply for the scholarship, the applicant must be a currently enrolled senior high-school student or freshman/sophomore/junior at a University or College.
- To receive the award, the applicant must be a currently enrolled full-time freshman/sophomore/junior in good standing in the Department of Scientific Computing at Florida State University. Dual majors should stipulate Scientific Computing as their primary major.
- The applicant must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (in high-school and/or their college courses).
- To receive the second half of the award: freshman/sophomore applicants must complete at least six hours of STEM courses in their first two semesters (Mathematics, Computing, Engineering, Science), and junior applicants must maintain a 3.0 GPA in Scientific Computing.
Application Process Overview
- Provide some basic personal information.
- Provide your unoffical high-school and/or university/college transcripts.
- Provide contact details for one high-school advisor, faculty member, or university advisor to provide you with a letter of recommendation.
- Write an essay (2-page limit) on what Computational Science means to you, what research you are interested in, and how Computational Science will enable you to achieve your goals and aspirations in life.
Scholarship Application Closing Date: 2017/07/31 12:00 AM (US/Eastern)